Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Monday, November 7, 2011

Oh, what we do for our children!

My intention was to have this blog up and running as soon as I got pregnant, but well, morning sickness from hell prevailed and now I am 21 weeks and just posting!  Better late than never, I suppose!  Thanks to my BOCO (Boston Conservatory) friend, Katie Brugal, for giving me this great idea.  There are so many close family and friends that don't live near me, so it is nice to have this blog to share all the happening with Baby Magtanong Part deux. 

Where to start?  We found out we were pregnant sometime after the 4th of July and were SO excited to welcome another precious baby in our lives.  The first few weeks were okay.  I was experiencing a little nausea here and there, but nothing like what I had experienced when I was pregnant with Jacob that first trimester.  I thought to myself "Hmmm, I think pregnancy may be a breeze compared to my last one."  Oh, how I was wrong!  How I was very, very wrong!  The books, articles, other veteran mothers etc. are right...each pregnancy is different.  Here's a breakdown of the last few months:

Week 5-10: Pretty good appetite.  Nausea here and there.  No crazy aversions to foods.  Still teaching and able to participate in normal everyday activities.

Week 10-18:  Sick, sick, and SICK!  We're talking about vomiting (yum!) multiple times a day, migraine headaches that would put me in a dark closet just to get some relief, absolutely no desire to eat, and losing 20 lbs.  I closed my studio for a couple months cause I was too sick to teach, and I pretty much could never leave the house without throwing up everywhere. =(  It was intense.

I had an OB appointment at 16 weeks and they found sugar in my urine.  Because of this, they decided to test me early for gestational diabetes (typically that test doesn't happen till 24 weeks).  My levels for the one hour glucose test came back extremely high at 199.  You have to be 140 or under to pass.  Since my levels were so high so early on in my pregnancy, my OB felt it was best to diagnose me with gestational diabetes and start treating it now.  This was such a hard thing for me to hear, especially since I didn't have GD with Jacob.  I was sick for a few weeks with him, felt great after, and then he basically walked out of my uterus at 38 weeks.  After doing my own research and consulting with the GD program at UCSD, I learned that everything would be fine as long as I manage my blood glucose levels and exercise.  So far, so good!  It hasn't been that bad, besides the occasional chocolate cake cravings. =)

Week 18-21: Feeling amazing!!  I woke up one day and the sickness was gone.  I'm sure the change in my diet helped a bunch, too.  I'm back to all my normal activities and I'm back to teaching!  At week 19 we had our big anatomy scan and found out that Jacob is having a baby sister!!  Sam is a little scared, but very excited at the same time.  He bought a shotgun the day after we found out.  Haha!  The best part of the ultrasound?  Finding out that our little girl is HEALTHY.  Nothing is better than hearing that.  Jacob was able to sit in on the ultrasound and he loved seeing his baby sister moving around.  He is so excited and keeps telling me that she isn't coming till after Christmas because she's not done cooking yet.  He's too precious.

So, yes, it has been quite an adventure so far, but the love for your children never ceases to amaze me.  Would I go through all of this again?  Hells to the yes! =)

Here are some pictures:

7 weeks

10 weeks

13 weeks

19 weeks

Ain't nothin' hangin' in between them legs!

19 week belly shot



And one of our Jacob because he's just so cute! 


How far along? 21 weeks and 3 days

Gender: Girl power!

Cravings: Chocolate Cake. =(  Anyone have a tasty diabetic recipe?  Haha

Sleep: I love sleep.  I'm happy I'm finally getting some!

How's Sam feeling?: "Thumbs up!" -Sam

Other: I can't wait for the holidays!

How your baby's growing:
Your baby now weighs about three-quarters of a pound and is approximately 10 1/2 inches long — the length of a carrot. You may soon feel like she's practicing martial arts as her initial fluttering movements turn into full-fledged kicks and nudges. You may also discover a pattern to her activity as you get to know her better. In other developments, your baby's eyebrows and lids are present now, and if you're having a girl, her vagina has begun to form as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment